September: Potato & Lentil Soup
Featured for September in our 2023 UniPro calendar.
With its straightforward preparation that offers rich warmth and comfort, Potato & Lentil Soup stands out as a perfect menu option for chilly autumn days.
Indulge in the warm comfort of the creamy lentil and potato soup. Red lentils, tender carrot, and fragrant garlic simmer to perfection in a chicken stock base, seasoned with a touch of salt and pepper. Velvety mashed potatoes add richness, while a blend creates a smooth texture. Finished with a dollop of crème fraîche, a sprinkle of fresh chives, and delicate ribbons of shaved carrot. Savor a balanced and satisfying dish that warms both heart and soul.
Yield: 4 Servings
|Mashed Potatoes||1 cup|
|Olive Oil||2 Tbsp|
|Onion, diced||1 cup|
|Celery, diced||1/2 cup|
|Carrot, diced||1/2 cup|
|carrot, shaved||2 tsp|
|Garlic, diced||1/2 cup|
|Red Lentils, dried||1 qt|
|Chicken Stock||1/2 tsp|
|Kosher Salt||1/4 tsp|
|Black Pepper, ground||2 Tbsp|
|Crème Fraiche, divided||2 Tbsp|
|Chive, fresh, chopped||1/2 cup|
- In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, add the oil, onion, celery, diced carrot, and garlic. Cook until lightly browned, stirring often, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the lentils, chicken stock, stalt, and pepper to the pan. Reduce to low-medium heat, cover, and cook until the lentils ar tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Increase to medium-high heat, add the prepared mashed potatoesand bring to a simmer, stir often.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- To serve, top 1 cup of soup with 1 1/2 tsp crème fraiche, 1/4 tsp chive, and 2 Tbsp shaved carrot.