Three-Pepper Tenderloin Roast with Mushroom & Leek Barley
Impress your guests with this peppery Tenderloin Roast with mushroom-leek barley. Tart cranberries are a tasty twist.
75 MINS. | 12 SERVINGS
- 1 Beef Tenderloin Roast (Item #28353)
- 1 tbsp. coarsely ground mixed peppercorns (black, white, green and pink)
- 1 lb cremini or white button mushrooms,(Item #26527) (halved or quarted if large)
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, cut in half lenghthwise then crosswise into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries or cherries
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Press peppercorns evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast. Combine mushrooms, leek and 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat. Arrange vegetables in single layer on rimmed baking sheet.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast beef in 425ºF oven 35-45 minutes for medium rare; 45-50 minutes for medium doneness. Roast vegetable 35 to 40 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in 3-quart saucepan until hot. Add barley and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. stirring frequently. Add borht and cherries; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer; covered, 10 to 12 minutes or until barley is tender. Keep warm.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135ºF for medium rare; 145ºF for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes (temperature will continue to rise about 10º-15ºF to reach 145ºF for medium rare; 160ºF for medium.)
- Stir mushrooms and leeks into barley mixture. Carve roast into slices. Season barley and beef with salt, as desired. Serve with barley.