March: Savory Grilled Cheese
Savory Grilled Cheese
Featured for March in our 2023 UniPro calendar.
Few things are as mesmerizing as a gooey bridge of cheese stretching between two halves of warm griddled bread. Here’s something simple and satisfying for your menu and feel free to add your own ingredients, like bacon, bbq chicken, or even something simple like carmelized onions to make it your own.
Yield: 1 SANDWICH
|Fan Favorite Cheese||You choose amount|
|Fan Favorite Bread||2 pieces|
|Butter or Mayonnaise||1 tsp|
- Start with a non-stick skillet: a non-stick skillet or well-seasoned cast iron skillet is the best to use because it will brown the bread nicely and allow you to flip the sandwich with ease.
- Butter your bread, not the pan: instead of dropping a pat of butter onto a hot skillet, butter the bread for more flavor and even browning. Generously spread one side of each bread slice with softened salted butter. Or, instead of butter, spread one side of each bread slice with mayonnaise. A Southern secret – it will give your sandwich a slight tang and help it brown beautifully.
- Choose your cheese: it’s important to pick a cheese that melts well. Think cheddar, American, provolone, Swiss, mozzarella, or even brie! No need to limit to one.
- Pile on extra ingredients or not: layer on flavorful toppings to make your own custom sandwich. Flat items like deli meats, pickles or hot peppers, bacon, sliced fresh tomatoes, apples, pears, and leafy greens are all good additions.
- Brown on both sides: cook your sandwich butter side down on medium heat, letting the sandwich brown for 3-4 minutes before flipping to other side with a wide spatula. Cook the other side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Don’t rush the process – you’ll be rewarded with the best-grilled cheese sandwich ever!